Saturday, December 08, 2007



WOULD YOU ACT, EAT OR SLEEP ON IT??

What do you do when problems fall on your laps like an unstoppable avalanche? Have you a special mechanism to tackle them without causing a cascade of depressive symptoms besiege your mortal wellbeing? I am sure everyone has a personal psychological shield to prevent themselves from falling too deep into a chasm of 'blues'. Some would resort to sleep over the matter, so to speak, which I think is the commonest way chosen by many, though I feel that is the lamest, if not most cowardly, solution. Some hide behind 'comfort' foods to make their problems go away. Some would just feign a denying 'front' that disregards any predicaments and continue with their mundane activities with no qualms. Perhaps, too , there are those who are born experts at delegating their problems to others, pushing half , if not all, of their burden to the poor shoulders of unfortunate souls.

I am a born worry wort, as my mother is. It must be my mom's Chinese genes. I worry over the slightest issue that involves my life and family. I have this inherent character that holds firmly onto a motto that pressures me to analyze a problem, think of possible solutions and act them out ASAP. Worse still, I have this great urge of wanting to see the solutions materialize over night and this can be equally daunting! In fact, I can feel the adrenaline surge in me when I start worrying about things. Most exasperating is when your significant other falls in the 'cool' type that prefers to sweep the matter under the rug, only to uncover it when the issue gets out of hand. Sleeping over the matter is just not my style of untying a knot in my life-line. I might binge if there's good food around but I would think hard of getting out of the desperation, all the same.

Over the years, as I age, I have learned to accept problems in a way that's kinder to my nerves. I know now that these problems are actually tests from God to try my patience and make me stronger. Today, whatever problems that befall me, I'd still react by scrutinizing them but I am calmer, in the sense that I know everything is in God's will and I must accept the outcome with inner peace. At times, when a predicament seems so huge and burdening to my soul, my initial response would still be to sort them out ASAP but I have learned to take a step back, looking at the matter in a broader perspective and tell myself, "this will pass, too". I have also adopted the mantra: If you can't change something, then it's no longer your problem. Just let it go.

Most importantly is to accompany all efforts in battling a problem with fervent prayers to Allah swt. Dua is the unseen weapon belonging to all Muslims. I am grateful each time a friend reminds me to invoke Allah's help whenever I am in dire strait. An effort that is accompanied by diligent prayers to Allah swt is definitely better than those without.



(Somebody went for a 3 days 2 night holiday in Penang and left me at home. A definite influence from Pycno). Gambar ini adalah simbolik kepada penentangan penjajah ala Tok Gajah, Mat Kilau etc. Tiada kena mengena dengan 'tuntutan' baru-baru ini. :))

7 comments:

pycnogenol said...

If not for your confession, I'd never have guessed you're the worrying type. You always appear so calm and composed, and always in control.

I am the crackpot in the family and Bea always remind me to learn to let go. Perhaps, now you can understand why she thinks that it's important to just let me be by myself, every now and then.

How come then, that it's the calmer soul that's going on a rendezvous, eh???

We hope your toe injury is not serious. Take care!

Jamil said...

My preferred method of solving problems is binging on food, sleeping for an absurdly long period of time and upon waking up, blame every breathing - and non-breathing - creature within a 100 feet radius (in that order). I find it particularly effective especially when the problem itself is unsolvable to begin with e.g. global warming and the continuous presence of exams.

Sorry. The mid semester exams are around the corner and I'm letting it get to my head *sigh*

HCI said...

Dear Roza, you answered yourself.

He he he, do you worry when there is nothing to worry? Where is my DSM-IV?

Ku Keng said...

If you realise that there is a blackjack primer link on your blog, you would be even more worried now.
:-))

HCI said...

Roza, tak banjir ker kat rumah you?

Anonymous said...

assuming that u r the one ın red n d one hollidaing d statue...

salam aidiladha...maaf zahir batin

dith said...

Pycno-The calmer soul is going on a rendezvous sbb cuti dia berlambak lagi and cuti kita dah habis sbb menjaga dia sakit dulu, :))

Yoshi- apparently, you are the type who act, sleep and eat on your problems, all at the same time! Goodness!

Has-300 -Anxiety Disorder NOS

Keng- the person who not only write entries with hidden meanings but also can detect hidden links on our blogs! Sheesh!

Has- alhamdulillah tak tapi angin masyallah!

Simah- no I wasn't the one! Salam aidil adha to you too!


Bukit Tinggi 2008

Great Wall 2009

Followers

 

ReMiNiScEnCe....as the garden of memory grows arid... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates